Today the Online Trust Alliance Academy presented 2014 Email Unsubscribe Best Practices and Audit. During the hour-long webinar, OTA Exeuctive Director Craig Spiezle was joined by Listrak Chief Privacy Officer James Koons and Innovyx CEO Derek Harding to talk about unsubscribe best practices beyond CAN SPAM and CASL compliance, as well as the results of OTA’s audit of the unsubscribe practices of leading eCommerce merchants.
Below is some of the information that was shared:
- It’s been 10 years since CAN-SPAM went into effect.
- CAN-SPAM is the minimum required. The goal is to surpass CAN-SPAM and adopt unsubscribe best practices.
- Unsubscribe practices and regulations are an international issue, so there is more to consider than CAN-SPAM and CASL.
- Opt-out links must be clear and conspicuous and visible from the last sentence of an email. They can’t be buried in copy.
- Unsubscribe links must be readable both in terms of color and font size.
- Senders must provide an easy opt-out for all email, not just the specific email program the recipient has clicked on.
- Use a link directing users to a combination preference center to unsubscribe, opt down or make other changes.
- It is an unsubscribe best practice to eliminate confusion by branding the unsubscription landing page.
- Serve an unsubscribe confirmation web page, not a confirmation email.
- On the unsubscribe page, the sender can include a link to resubscribe or link to a preference center.
- Although CAN-SPAM and CASL permit senders up to 10 days to remove an unsubscribe, it is a best practice to remove the address and add it to the suppression list immediately.
- Senders must comply with the regulations of where the recipient resides (or is opening the email), not where the sender is located.
- It is a best practice to adopt a list-unsubscribe mechanism within the header of each message.
- While the sender may not make completing a survey a requirement of unsubscribing, including a survey is a best practice to provide a more positive experience.
- Results of the 2013 Unsubscribe audit reveal that 10% of the largest eCommerce brands are not in CAN-SPAM/CASL compliance.
- The audit also showed that many of the largest eCommerce brands do implement best practices, however, the outliers overshadow the industry.
- Nearly 70% of the brands in the unsubscribe audit scored 80% or better on their use of the top 10 unsubscribe best practices.
- It is imperative that senders test their unsubscribe practices on a regular basis both to ensure that they’re effective and that they’re compliant.
To read the OTA 2014 Unsubscribe Audit report, visit https://otalliance.org/news-events/press-releases/unsubscribe-best-practices-moving-stewardship.
Press Release: Listrak Becomes Magento Gold Technology Partner
Wednesday, September 24, 2014
Wednesday, September 24, 2014 Listrak 0 Comments
September, 2014 - Listrak, an innovator of omnichannel digital marketing solutions for retailers, was recently named a Magento Gold Technology Partner. Magento, an eBay Enterprise company, serves more than 240,000 merchants worldwide and is the leading ecommerce platform for fast growing retailers in the Internet Retailer 500. Magento also powers 26 percent of all ecommerce sites in the Alexa one million sites list; more than any other e-commerce platform.
Listrak has partnered with Magento since the company’s inception in 2008 and has built a reputation for having a solid and easy integration with the Magento platform. Prior to become a Gold Technology Partner in July, Listrak had been a Magento Silver Technology Partner for three years.
“Listrak’s focus is on helping online retailers reach optimal engagement with their customers, and our partnership with Magento allows merchants to benefit from a single, integrated digital marketing platform that helps them gain insights into their customers’ behaviors, as well as solutions that increase revenue,” comments James Williams, Listrak director of global channel sales.
“Listrak’s been partnering with and growing alongside Magento since the beginning,” he adds, “and we’re proud to meet the requirements necessary to attain Magento’s top technology partnership status, because it means that we are both offering our mutual clients the very best applications and services to engage with their shoppers and customers and to grow their businesses.”
Williams also notes that Magento merchants comprise 55 percent of Listrak’s current retail-specific client base.
Magento’s Marty Armstrong, head of technology and hosting partnerships,adds, “Both Magento and Listrak are committed to helping merchants optimize the profitability of their online channel. Our partnership with Listrak will continue to focus on providing the highest quality commerce solutions for our joint merchant clients.”
Listrak is an omnichannel digital marketing solutions provider that works with retailers to drive revenue growth, profitability and increase the lifetime value of customers. Founded in 1999, the company’s solution suite boasts analytics technology that enhances campaign performance, shopping cart abandonment solutions that help recoup lost revenue, post purchase solutions to increase lifetime value, seamless integration across multiple platforms, as well as email, mobile, social and more. Listrak has more than a decade of digital marketing experience and works with leading U.S. online retailers, including Deb Shops, Waterford, Swell, The Grommet and La-Z-boy. For more information, visit http://www.listrak.com.
Email Treats for Halloween
Thursday, September 18, 2014
Thursday, September 18, 2014 Listrak 0 Comments
For retailers, Halloween might be called the unofficial first “holiday” of the holiday season. But what if you don’t sell costumes, candy or seasonal decor? With a little creativity you can still take part in the fun, delight your customers and bring in some revenue:
No costumes? No worries! In this creative promotion, Aerie urges the shopper to be her “boo-tiful self” and sets the percentage off and timing of the sale to match the date.
Rather than relying on “scare-city,” Lands’ End gets shoppers’ attention with a big BOO! and then treats them to a promotion that continues for days after jack-o-lantern candles have gone out.
In another great example of “No costumes? No worries!” AEO merchandises outfits that eerily resemble some well-known spooky characters.
Although they likely don’t have caramel apples or candy corn on the menu, On the Border still finds a way to get in on the Halloween action with this genius promotion.
We love how Little Caesars uses reverse psychology to “frighten” visitors into subscribing. Just think how many busy parents are looking for a quick and convenient dinner to serve before their little goblins hit the streets.
And finally, AC Moore simply uses the occasion as a reason to reach out to subscribers with nothing more than well wishes, which is sometimes just the perfect treat.
For some additional tricks, check out this post from SEO PowerSuite.
Webinar: Season’s Best - Proven Email Strategies to Ensure a Profitable Holiday Season
Thursday, September 11, 2014
Thursday, September 11, 2014 Listrak 0 Comments
Have you signed up for the next in our series of holiday webinars? There’s still time!
On September 23, join Listrak and our special guest, Sucharita Mulpuru of Forrester Research, for the webinar Season’s Best - Proven Email Strategies to Ensure a Profitable Holiday Season.
In 2013, 16% of all holiday eCommerce sales were generated through the email channel, and that number is trending upwards. In this hour-long presentation, Sucharita, Forrester VP, Principal Analyst, will provide an overview of the current state and importance of email marketing as we enter the holiday season. Following, Listrak will present an overview of the best of the best ideas for maximizing holiday email strategies, including:
- data-driven personaliziation
2014 Email Unsubscribe Best Practices and Audit: Chief Privacy Officer James Koons to co-present Online Trust Alliance Webinar
Friday, September 05, 2014
Friday, September 05, 2014 Listrak 0 Comments
On Tuesday, September 30, the Online Trust Alliance will present a review of its unsubscribe audit, as well as recommended practices moving beyond compliance.
Join James Koons, Listrak Chief Privacy Officer, Derek Harding, CEO of Innovyx and Craig Spiezle, Executive Director of the Online Trust Alliance, for a review of key learnings, providing marketers actionable and prescriptive advice to making their email marketing initiatives more trustworthy.
- Amazon Prime Day
- Browse Abandonment
- Client Success
- content marketing
- Content Strategy
- Cross-Channel Shopping
- Customer Engagement
- Display Ads
- Dynamic Content
- email design
- in-store shopping
- iOS 10
- lifetime value
- Listrak new building
- Post Purchase
- preheaders subject lines
- press release
- product recommendations
- Shopping Cart Abandonment
- Social Advertising
- Target Audience
- Triggered Messages
- Welcome Series
Subscribe via RSS
- ► 2016 (56)
- ► 2015 (122)
- ▼ September (5)